The history of Bethel Tabernacle is rich in Christian sacrifice, determination, and a great family heritage. This history began with Oliver F. Fauss. It all started in 1929, when Oliver F. Fauss and his wife, Jewel, felt the calling of the Lord to build a church for the glory of God in Houston, Texas.
For four years, Pastor and Mrs. Oliver F. Fauss, family, and congregation worshiped in rented halls and tents. During one period of time, services were held under the trees in a public park. This church began during the onset of the Great Depression. In 1934, the church located a five-room building on North Palmer Street. This place was converted to a church. In 1940, a stone building was built at 116 North Palmer Street. As God continued to bless the church with souls, the congregation eventually outgrew the building.
In 1953, the church relocated to a new facility at 8902 Irvington Blvd. At this new location, the Lord continued to bless the church for many years.
Pastor Orlin R. Fauss was 1 year old when his parents moved to Houston to begin Bethel Tabernacle. He grew up watching and participating in the establishment and growth of Bethel. After graduating from Milby High School in Houston he graduated from Apostolic Bible College in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In 1947, he and his wife, Lois, entered the ministry as traveling evangelists. Their travels were throughout Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana.
Rev. O. R. Fauss, together with his wife, Lois, and three sons, moved to Houston in January 1960. They moved from Shady Grove, Jena, Louisiana to help his father, the late Oliver F. Fauss, the founder of the church.
In 1976, a new sanctuary was built at 14615 Aldine-Westfield Rd. In 1978, Pastor O.R. Fauss felt the need for Christian education and Bethel Christian Academy was founded. BCA has graduated hundreds of students over the past 29 years. For over 47 years, Pastor and Mrs. O.R. Fauss were the wonderful pastors of Bethel Tabernacle. Literally, many hundreds of people have been saved and touched by the powerful pastoral ministry of Pastor O.R. Fauss. Many of these are scattered throughout churches in the Houston area serving the Lord.
Rev. David L Fauss, son of Rev. and Mrs. O.R. Fauss rejoined his father as Pastor of Bethel Tabernacle in September of 1998. His history with Bethel spans many years of ministry including 11 years of pastoral ministry from 1979-1990. During this period, Bethel experienced great revival and growth, and BCA also dedicated a new facility during this time.
In 2004, God led Bethel Tabernacle to relocate to the present facility on FM 1960.
Pastor and Mrs. David Fauss are leading this wonderful church in tremendous growth and Holy Ghost Revival.